Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer Goals


You know when you hit those points in your life when you are so busy you feel like you don't even have time to stop and think?  I hit that point last week and finally took a minute to stop and reflect on what I'm doing with my life. 

I pulled out my summer goals list (because I make lists for virtually everything) and I realized that I really was only accomplishing 1 of my 14 goals.  And.... that was earning enough money for my mission.  Which is all great, but I have been totally missing out on focusing on the most important things in life.

Today I came across this article by Clayton Christensen in the Harvard Business Review.  I read it about a year ago and was thinking about it today.  

In it, Clayton Christensen explains that when there's a spare moment many people look to accomplish goals where success can be measured immediately.  Whether it's finishing a project, making money, etc.  In reality what matters most is the relationships we develop with our family and our friends and in finding out what our life's purpose is. 

So that's probably why I loved the last part of Clayton Christensen's article today:  

"I’ve concluded that the metric by which God will assess my life isn’t dollars but the individual people whose lives I’ve touched.
I think that’s the way it will work for us all. Don’t worry about the level of individual prominence you have achieved; worry about the individuals you have helped become better people. This is my final recommendation: Think about the metric by which your life will be judged, and make a resolution to live every day so that in the end, your life will be judged a success."

So I'm starting over in how I live my life. Starting now. H.A.G.S. 

3 comments: