Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sheckels...


Yesterday marked the one week anniversary of our stay in the Holy Land. What do I think of it? Absolutely fascinating. Every time I go into the city I am overwhelmed by the sounds, the smells, the people, and the feel. Every day I feel like I'm having a cultural experience in this city. Yesterday Rachel got hit in the old city by a runaway market cart, a local man asked me, "will you make love with me?" and walked away casually, and I've tried a falafel. What more can you ask for? 
I am loving it here so far. This past month the Muslims have been celebrating Ramadan. This means that every day for the past month Muslims have been fasting from sun-up until sun-down in preparation for the new year. Ramadan was supposed to end last night but was extended for another day because last night the moon was not visible. 
Tonight was the end of Ramadan so the New Year festivities begin. Today a group of us spent a day in the city and I probably got the best use out of one sheckel I'm ever going to get. Imagine a pancake with lots of sugar in the middle. Heaven. These are only baked for New Year's here. 




I just love exploring this city. I love the chaos and the business of the city and I love that I get to be here for four months. 


















0 comments:

Post a Comment